Because this is hard, but it's harder alone. Because we're a tribe. Because you're curious and I would be too. Because I want you to know it's okay to ask, and because I want to encourage you to TALK to families with special needs.
A lot of people are scared to talk to you once you become a parent to a "special" child. They care - but they are scared. How do you begin? What do you say? Will you put your foot in your mouth and say something that offends me? We've become a society so "in tune" with people's feelings that I worry we've gone too far. People are so scared to say the WRONG things, that they simply don't say the THINGS at all. And when we become distant from each other, when tribes drift apart, THAT, my friends, is what's scary.
So here we go. Ask me your questions. Open, candid, honest, scary, uncomfortable questions. Comment below, or click the link to a totally anonymous survey, and ask the things you'd like to know. I promise you won't offend me, and I'll collect them and put together a very open question and answer post.
Some examples of questions I (really) have been asked, and that I will answer, to get you started: 😉
~Can you have more children? Will they have the same problems as Adelyn?
~What will happen to your service dog if/when Adelyn passes away?
~How many appointments do you have a week/month?
~Do you really need a Medicaid attendant? What does she do?
~What do Adelyn's seizures look like?
How is your marriage? How is Mike with all of this? How do you do this? Are you resentful toward people with "typical" children? Do you want more children? Are you angry or bitter? Do all the doctor appointments overwhelm you? Are you exhausted? Are you getting enough sleep? Do you need meals (even once in a while)? What should I say? What should I not say? How can I better support you through all of this? Are there any tangible needs that can be met through me or the rest of your tribe? Do you need any additional financial support?
ReplyDelete